DAAD Scholarship – How to Apply & All You Need to Know About It
Amongst many bona fide international Scholarships such as Fulbright, Commonwealth & Chevening; DAAD withholds a firm position. DAAD scholarship, primarily comes under The German Academic Exchange Services that aims to provide many graduate, post-graduate and PhD programs for the international students, especially catering pupil from developing countries.
Various German Universities come under DAAD Scholarship programs where their focus is to support and aid about 100,000 German or international students in their dream to attain higher education with astounding learning quality.
Without any exception, this makes DAAD the world’s largest funding and most comprehensive of all scholarship institutions. Not only DAAD caters foreign students in the academic field but also promotes Music and Arts. In a country like Pakistan where music is no subject it is definitely a delightful treat.
However, the core point of the scholarship is to promote international relations and education in German universities and to aid the developing countries to build their very own system and standards for higher education along with supporting the German studies and language throughout the world.
Choosing the Perfect DAAD Scholarship Program
There is extensive number of scholarships offered at DAAD for the foreign students; however, not all of them may be vacant to the students of each country. The DAAD official site offers quite a deep process available to find a perfect program for you.
The searching option is made easy and quite specific! Refine your search on the basis of various points; Keyword or Program Title, Status, Country of Origin and Subject. As far as Pakistan is concerned there are about 17 scholarship programs available with specification to the Pakistani Origin for the graduates, post-graduates or PhD students. Let’s have an overview over them.
The Programs Offered
- Development-Related Postgraduate Courses (EPOS)
- DLR-DAAD Research Fellowship Programme
- Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance – PPGG)
- Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowships
- Postdoctoral fellowship in Subsaharan Africa at African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Cameroon
- Postdoctoral fellowship in Subsaharan Africa at African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Ghana
- Postdoctoral fellowship in Subsaharan Africa at African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) South Africa
- Postdoctoral fellowship in Subsaharan Africa at AIMS Senegal
- Postdoctoral Researchers International Mobility Experience (P.R.I.M.E.)
- Practical Traineeships for Foreign Students of Natural and Technical Sciences, Agriculture and Forestry (IAESTE)
- Re-invitation Programme for Former Scholarship Holders
- Research Grants – Bi-nationally Supervised Doctoral Degrees
- Research Grants – Doctoral Programmes in Germany
- Research Grants – One-Year Grants
- Research Grants – Short-Term Grants
- Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists
- Study Visits by Groups of Foreign Students
It is also important to know the process of selection that DAAD adopts while selecting the students from international platforms for its scholarship.
The Process of Selection
The pre-selection committee selects and assesses the applications of the students that is made up of local university teachers “…of DAAD-placed German university teachers and Lektors, Goethe Institute lecturers, representatives of the relevant ministries, representatives of partner organisations of the DAAD, or of representatives from the relevant DAAD Regional Office” (Source: DAAD official site)
Moreover, the submitted applications are judged on the basis of various pre-determined points that the committee undertakes to select a foreign student eligible for scholarship;
- The reasons given for the application on the basis of their knowledge of the general and academic circumstances in the applicant’s country of origin and in Germany,
- The plausibility and feasibility of the project,
- The status of preparations for the stay in Germany,
- How the stay is integrated into the applicant’s study pathway or academic career,
- The applicant’s academic qualifications and language skills.
Know the Criteria for Selection
However, there is also a specially devised criterion by DAAD that is taken under consideration for the selection of international students. Let’s have a look at them.
- Previous academic achievements and examination results as well as the applicant’s particular knowledge in his or her academic field.
- Letter from a German university teacher confirming the provision of academic supervision for the applicant; proof of contacts between the applicant’s home and host institutions.
- Where appropriate, proof of German language proficiency.
- General questions of character and personality which are of significance to the success of a stay abroad.
- Where appropriate, the development policy significance of the proposed project for the home country.
- The extent to which the applicant will be able to apply the experience gained in Germany back in the home country (prospects for career re-integration, particularly relevant in the case of scholarship award decisions for applicants from developing countries).
The sent application is rated on the basis of points, producing a ranking list and finally the scholarships are awarded to the worthy students on the basis of seats available.
We have previously explored Commonwealth Scholarship in detail and, without a doubt, it seemed quite extensive to me.
However, The exceptional programs offered at DAAD are immensely satisfying and it is, surely, a great opportunity for all the international pupil, including Pakistani students. I say don’t waste time and if you want to study abroad then DAAD is the place to be.
So, choose any program that best suits you and make your educational career bloom like a rose.
Leave your Thoughts @ Avvaaz
Search @ Avvaaz
Kuddos to Muhammed Suleman Thaniana of Karachi Grammar School who has bagged a bronze medal in the recently held 50… https://t.co/HOtP7r5dTiFollow